Wednesday, December 23, 2015

New blog and a Twitter name change...

It's very difficult at times, particularly in this world today, to discern God's plan-- it's very difficult to follow Him without losing Him in the crowd sometimes; to hear His voice over the din of everyday life. But He's there, waiting... Waiting for us to turn off the HD tv and put down the smart phone. Waiting for us to listen to what He has been telling us for generations...

There's little doubt in my mind that God works each of us in different ways. I struggled with my faith for years (what does it mean to really believe in a God who could forgive my mistakes and love me for who I am?) until I came to understand that it (my faith) is a divine gift. It is through this gift that I'm able to fully appreciate the many others God has bestowed upon me-- my wife (and family), especially-- a gift second only to the sacrifice of Christ that frees me from myself.

I am Lutheran. I am 53 years old. And next month I will resign my position as a high school teacher and make plans to enter the seminary next fall to finish my theological training.

So I created this blog as a faith journal-- for me, mostly-- to document my journey, spiritually and literally. This will be my fourth major life change in the half-century I've been around, but more about that later... For now it's still coming to life.

I guess this post inaugurates...well, my intentions. Christmas is the day after tomorrow. In the spirit of the season, I recall how succinctly the Lord through Luke explains Advent:

And in the same region there were shepherds out in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night. And an angel of the Lord appeared to them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were filled with great fear. And the angel said to them, “Fear not, for behold, I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people. For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Savior, who is Christ the Lord. And this will be a sign for you: you will find a baby wrapped in swaddling cloths and lying in a manger.” And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God and saying,

“Glory to God in the highest,
and on earth peace among those with whom he is pleased!” (Luke 2:8-14 ESV)

My goal (I hate to call it a resolution) is to touch this blog daily, starting on New Year's Day. I have also changed my Twitter username from @DBashmak to @theologetical-- theolog(ue) et (ic) al = theolog et al. That's "theolog," not "theologian"...yet.

May the greatest gift you receive on Christmas Day be wrapped in swaddling cloths and lying in a manger. See you again in 2016!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.