Saturday, December 3, 2016

Evangelism and Outreach

We have no other reason for living on earth than to be of help to others. If this were not the case, it would be best for God to kill us and let us die as soon as we are baptized and have begun to believe. But He permits us to live here in order that we may bring others to faith, just as He brought us. But as long as we are on earth, we must live in hope. For although we are sure that we have all the blessings of God through faith—for faith is surely accompanied for you by the new birth, the filial relationship, and the inheritance—we do not yet see this. It is still something to be hoped for and still somewhat remote. We cannot see it with our eyes. --Martin Luther, Sermons on First Peter, 1522 (Luther’s Works, Vol. 30)

This morning I sat through another "module" (a mini-seminar provided by the seminary on various pastoring topics; I have to get six in during my year here) called "Who Me? Do the Work of Evangelist?" It was presented by the LCMS Indiana District's Executive of Outreach and Human Care. As I sat there for the four-hour discussion, I kept thinking about how little most people know about church-- why there even is church-- including those who were raised in it. Then there are Lutherans. I got to thinking about what people really know about the Lutheran Church, in or out of it. Why would someone walk into a Lutheran church on a Sunday morning, as opposed to any of the overwhelming choice of places of worship? And I couldn't help but wonder how my friends and relatives see me and my family as Lutherans... And how they honestly feel about and understand my desire to become a Lutheran pastor.

The presenter mentioned a video about Richmond, Kentucky, a place of almost 33,000 where there is a good-sized university, but not one LCMS congregation. The first part of the video is interesting in its illustration of young people's preconceived notions about church. Very telling. And this is what I-- and the other men studying for the ministry-- will be up against. I encourage you to take a look...it's less than 6 minutes long and is very well done. And the pastor who pops in toward the end is the guy who facilitated this morning's session.

I got something else out of attending this module. There is a second-year guy here who emigrated with his family from Moldova (small country sandwiched between the Ukraine and Romania) who is a native Russian speaker. He and I spoke in Russian during a break-- what a nice guy! (And I haven't spoken Russian in a while, so I probably sounded rusty...) I'm not sure what to make of this, but I think God is up to something. I only wish I knew more! ;)

Let me brutally Frank(-ish):
Значит, так. Ещё раз вам говорю...
And, speaking of Russian, I was watching Dark Ages on the History Channel this past week and as the narrator was going on about Charlemagne, the actor portraying him was audible enough for me to hear him say very clearly "Значит, так. Ещё раз вам говорю..." ("So. I'm telling you again...") I'm not sure what language the ol' boy spoke (some sort of Frankish precursor to today's French?); however, I seriously doubt he sounded like a native Russian speaker. I found it curious. I guess you can't believe everything you hear on the History Channel, eh? (Maybe they just wanted Charlemagne to sound Old Worldly in a language few people watching would have understood or even paid attention to.)

Lots of schoolwork this weekend (well, tomorrow, as it's already 3:30pm on Saturday)...

Boy, that first week back went by fast!

That's it for now. С Богом!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.