Saturday, June 3, 2017

Not bad for an old fort...

But as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.” (Joshua 24:15 ESV)

I found myself wide awake at 3am this morning... Made some coffee and started to watch an Audrey Hepburn film on tv (Two for the Road with Albert Finney), but decided it's not an early morning movie, but to be better appreciated in the evening, perhaps with a glass of wine. So I left it to the DVR and sat down at my computer...

Yesterday I went for a long walk in the morning (about 10½ miles)-- the weather here has been beautiful (clear, in the 70s)-- and made it to the confluence of the three rivers on which Ft. Wayne prides itself:

[From Automobile Blue Book 1917: Standard Road Guide of America, Volume 4] Ft. Wayne, the county seat of Allen County, and termed the "Summit City," has the highest altitude of any city in Indiana. It is 775 feet above sea level. Three rivers, the St. Mary’s, the St. Joseph, and the Maumee, unite near the geographical center of the city, about 7 squares northeast of the courthouse. The altitude of Ft. Wayne and the peculiar courses of the three rivers is the result of glacial deposits and a subject of interesting study to the geologist. The town was originally the ancient capital of the Miamis, an important tribe of the Algonquin nation, and was then called Kikagon, or Kekionga, whence the word Kekionga on the city seal. Kekionga occupied the site of that part of Ft. Wayne now known as Lakeside. Long before the white man visited the spot, Kekionga was the principal inland point on the great water route between the St. Lawrence and the mouth of the Mississippi. The eight-mile stretch of land between St. Mary’s and Little River was the watershed and the red man's portage.

Opposite the parking area in front of a huge water treatment plant there is a life-size statue (pictured)dedicated to "the [unknown] pioneer who named Fort Wayne's three rivers," a Jesuit priest dressed in a robe and ankle-length cloak, standing and pointing with his right hand to the confluence of the three rivers. Unless you came off the walking path along the St. Joseph River, which empties into the parking area, I doubt you would know it was there. At the end of the driveway out of the treatment plant is the "Old Fort," located just across the street (it's not really an "old" fort, as it was built in the 1970s for tourists, mostly; the actual old American Fort Wayne was built on the other side of the Maumee River). I wandered through it (really looking for a restroom), but it wasn't open for business, so it was deserted (but nonetheless interesting!). You can take even take a virtual tour...

I've been listening to books of the Bible as I walk. Yesterday I made it through Joshua, Judges, Ruth, and, this morning (4½ miles), most of 1 Samuel. The Old Testament has some great stories-- I revisited Gideon, Deborah, Naomi and Ruth, Samson and Delilah, Samuel and Saul, David and Goliath, just to name a few of the more memorable characters. I got to wondering afterward about family and friends... How much do the people I come into contact every day know about the Bible (what it is, why it is, how old it is, etc.). Then I thought about the Bible Project, "a Portland based non-profit that utilizes short-form, fully animated videos to make the biblical story accessible to everyone, everywhere," started by two guys who "believe that the Bible is a divine-human book that speaks God’s word to his people...and think it points people to Jesus, who has power to change individuals and whole communities." The Bible Project "is not part of any specific Christian denomination or tradition." (I mentioned the Bible Project in an April post.)

The Bible Project guys have put together two 5-minute animated videos (linked below) that calmly, coolly, and non-confrontationally (really, no salesman will call) provide a nice overview to the whole of the Bible that, if nothing else, will pique the watcher's curiosity enough to want to try another video on their website (I recommend all of them!), but, hopefully, to explore more of the Bible beyond just the videos. So, if you're interested, click and enjoy: Part 1, Part 2

Next time we talk, I'll likely be somewhere in Texas...

Until then.

С Богом, ya'll!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.