Monday, July 17, 2017

Once I walked to North Dakota...

There are only two kinds of people in the end: those who say to God, “Thy will be done,” and those to whom God says, in the end, “Thy will be done.” --C. S. Lewis, from The Great Divorce

Perhaps I should claim false advertising with regard to this post's title, or at least admit to leaving off the punchline. The title provides a nice launch point into the everyday phenomenon of how differently each one of us processes what we hear and see in the world around us-- even those of us with the same "label"...

Yesterday I went out for a lengthy, solo death march (if you're just now peering into this blog for the first time, then the aforementioned phrase is a case in point) during which I crossed three rivers, the St. Mary, the Maumee, and the St. Joseph. If I leave that factoid as it is, you will interpret it based on a) personal experiences (bias), b) a knowledge of rivers in northern Indiana, c) what you know about me, or d) none of the above, and so can't help but be impressed by such a bold statement.  :)

The fact is, I walked just under 9.5 miles and near the confluence of those three rivers in Ft. Wayne, there are walking paths that cross bridges over each of the rivers (in very close proximity to one another). So with added information, my feat, perhaps, loses any luster.

One's worldview can skew the truth. So what comes to mind about me when you read the following statements, whether they are true or not (and are intentionally mentioned together): Texas is my home. I do not vote Democrat. I go to a Lutheran church. I have a second language. My daughter was born in Spain. The highest game I ever bowled is a 279. I once crossed the Red River and walked to North Dakota...

And if you interacted with me in real life, what would my actions say about me to you? And if you knew of me by a "label" (i.e. Lutheran), how would my treatment of others speak of an entire group? Would I be considered stereotypical? Or would my actions challenge your preconceived notions about me and my affiliations with others?

Much of the trouble in this world has to do misunderstanding, in particular about those verboten party topics: sex, politics, and religion. Ethnic and cultural differences may lead to household-strength intolerance, but industrial-strength hatred and bigotry is the result of the deadly combination of ignorance and fear. Therefore, a snap decision and rushed judgment can lead to an unfortunate, misinformed conclusion.

Now think for a minute. What conclusion can be drawn from what you say, how you interact with others, who you hang with? The answer is simple (enough)... With every step you take, every move you make (..."every breath you take, I'll be watching you"...The Police), you reveal the location and condition of your heart at any given moment in time.

What's the point? Well. Not all Muslims are terrorists. There is no such thing as progressive Christianity. Recalcitrant sinners come in all shapes, sizes, and orientation (including heterosexuals-- take a look around). Lutherans are as Roman Catholic as Presbyterians. Not everyone thinks like you (or I) do. Not everyone who doubts is weak...

Listen. Consider (the facts at hand). Respond in kindness, not in judgment. Get the rest of the story before drawing a conclusion.

And I really did walk to North Dakota, in 2007. And I crossed the Red River which separates North Dakota and Minnesota (I walked from the western border of Moorhead, Minnesota, into Fargo, North Dakota, across the bridge over the Red River...not the same Red River that separates Texas from Oklahoma). Once again, added information doesn't change the facts, just the color...

But it IS a good story (and a good ice-breaker at social functions)!

That's it for now... С Богом, ya'll.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.