As he passed by, he saw a man blind from birth. And his disciples asked him, “Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?” Jesus answered, “It was not that this man sinned, or his parents, but that the works of God might be displayed in him. (John 9:1-3 ESV)
I remember where I was on January 28, 1986, at least during the morning hours. I was geographically separated from my wife of little more than two months by some 5,000 miles, standing in line at a credit union in Monterey, California, watching the launch of the space shuttle Challenger on a tv monitor behind the teller counter. You could have heard a pin drop in there when the shuttle exploded less than two minutes after lift-off.
Such loss of life, whether natural or man-made, makes us scratch our heads and turn to God for answers. John 9:1-3 tells us that out of tragedy, handicap, or what appears to us as abject unfairness may have a deeper purpose in God's plan. Sometimes we see it, most times we do not until well after the fact.
A good post to thefederalist.com is a reminder of that day and President Reagan's comments to the nation.
And, speaking of presidents-- or at least presidential hopefuls-- another post on thefederalist.com expresses my sentiments regarding Donald Trump as a candidate for this nation's highest office. I know we are not looking for a pastor-in-chief, but c'mon...

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.