[This morning, during worship at church, I got the news that my uncle had died only hours before. This was the uncle who was like a father to me when my father could not be because of alcoholism. After the initial wave of sadness and grief passed, I remembered a devotional I wrote in March 2009. It seems appropriate to share it again.]
Most
Christians, especially those who have lost a loved one, are familiar with the
story of Jesus raising Lazarus from the dead.
The Apostle John relates a conversation between Martha, the sister of
Lazarus, and Jesus, which begins with Martha in effect blaming Jesus for her
brother’s death because he arrived too late to heal him. Martha is just like the rest of us, really—we
face-off with God when He “takes” someone from us (and without so much as an
explanation). Jesus knows that Martha
is understandably upset, but also knows that there’s a Gospel moment in all of
this. Before he deals with Lazarus,
Jesus says to Martha: "I am the resurrection and the life. Whoever
believes in me, though he die, yet shall he live, and everyone who lives and
believes in me shall never die. Do you believe this?" (John 11:25-26 ESV)
What
could be a more comforting thought for the survivors of the deceased than
knowing that Scripture assures us that upon death believers are in the hands of
God and that they are with Christ. Better yet, what could be a more comforting
thought for the living?
On Thursday, November 6, 2008, I found my
70-year old father dead on the floor in his house where he lived alone. It was just before 6 p.m. and all the lights
were off in the house. I discovered his
body on the floor in a back bedroom. It
was a Stephen King moment—I say that, not because of the horror, but because
King was fond of describing that phenomenon that takes place when your eyes see
something that your brain is still trying to process. I was more surprised than anything else,
actually. So much so that I stood in the
hallway for some time trying to decide what to do or whom to call.
Once my sanity returned, I called 911 and
waited. And I was okay...sad for me, of
course, because my father was gone…but okay.
I knew that I had found my father’s remains and not him. My faith reassured me that in death, my
father, who had been plagued with heart and addiction problems, had been set
free! I am so thankful to God for the
gift of faith He has given me in Him through Christ that sustained me that
night and in the weeks that followed…
There is a Lutheran hymn
(LSB #759) called “This Body in the Grave We Lay” which is played often at
funeral services. The 2nd and
3rd stanzas are beautiful and reflect our Christian sentiments about
physical death, seen as an end forever by the unchurched, but as a transition
by the believer through faith:
The soul forever lives with God,
Who freely hath His grace bestowed
And through His Son redeemed it here
From every sin, from every fear.
All trials and all griefs are past,
A blessed end has come at last.
Christ's yoke was borne with ready will;
Who dieth thus is living still.
Who freely hath His grace bestowed
And through His Son redeemed it here
From every sin, from every fear.
All trials and all griefs are past,
A blessed end has come at last.
Christ's yoke was borne with ready will;
Who dieth thus is living still.
Funerals
and memorial services are for the living.
As was the case with Martha, the passing of a friend or a loved one
still provides Jesus with a Gospel moment—if we can listen to His words "I
am the resurrection and the life. Whoever believes in me, though he die, yet
shall he live, and everyone who lives and believes in me shall never die.” and
then answer His question “Do you believe this?” with an unwavering “Yes!”, then
we are not only witness of, but witnesses to the Gospel message of hope, the
anticipation of bodily resurrection and a reunion with those we knew in this
life, God’s promise of life everlasting in Christ.
It
is with hope, not apprehension or fear, that we look upon the grave, secure in
knowing that it is not the end. An open
grave for us as Christians is no longer really open; our faith has closed it
forever. For as the hymn says…
“Who
dieth thus is living still.” Amen.

Wow! Thanks for sharing your words, insight, and hope in these troubling times.
ReplyDeleteYou have no idea how cathartic it is for me to touch this blog daily! If I can reach someone else, perhaps, who has also suffered a loss, well that's what it's really all about.
ReplyDelete