Thursday, May 5, 2016

A little Thursday extra stencilism to take the edge off...

"Father in Heaven, when the thought of Thee wakes in our hearts, let it not awaken like a frightened bird that flies about in dismay, but like a child waking from its sleep with a heavenly smile." --Søren Kierkegaard, journal entry on January 6, 1839


(image from Zazzle.com)
I saw a tweet from Relevant.com proclaiming today is the 203rd birthday of Danish pseudo-Lutheran philosopher Søren Kierkegaard, in my opinion one of the most interesting deep-thinkers in near-history (and near-church). Relevant has a great list of Kierkegaard quotes in this post to keep your brain a-smolderin'...

Christianity Today has a very user-friendly Kierkegaard 101 webpage, worth a read in memoriam (after all, the guy just turned 203...). And what a great name for a Christian philosopher-- his last name is said to mean "church farm" (or "graveyard," depending on who you talk to). I wouldn't dare to classify myself as a philosopher or an -ist of any kind (I'm more like the guy in Dostoevsky's "The Dream of a Ridiculous Man"), much less a Christian one; besides, my last name means "wooden shoe" (apropos?).

Makes me wonder why I don't have my very own Kierkegaard coffee cup... That's the extent of my existentialism for today, sad as it is.

(Though, speaking of existentialism or speaking existentially or whatever, I'm jammin' hard to "Time" by Pink Floyd as I get ready to launch this post into cyber-oblivion...)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.