Giving thanks always and for everything to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ; (Ephesians 5:20 ESV)
Well, we (wife, cat, and I) made it to Ft. Wayne, got our keys to the new place about 3 miles from the seminary, and have been getting the lay of the land for the last 3 days... Today the Pod will return and we will have a couch and a few chairs to sit on. Our community (hereinafter referred to as the compound) has 4 or 5 cul-de-sac streets of single level, attached "apartment homes" opened in 2015; ours is a 2 bedroom, 2 bath, 2-car garage unit that reminds me of base housing in the Navy (but newer). It's quite a contrast to the 4-bedroom house we left in Texas! But we wanted to downsize, and downsize we did...
As we (wife and I) wandered around the area, more than once a local responded to our disclosure that we'd just moved here with "Why?" (One girl kept calling Ft. Wayne "Ft. Weird.") I don't know how weird this city is, but it is very Midwest in appearance, from the highway designs to the architecture. (And in this part of the state everything is either Hoosier-- duh-- or Lutheran...hospitals, healthcare, plumbers, you name it.)
Yesterday we ventured into downtown Ft. Wayne to visit Parkview Field where the Single A Tincaps play-- it's quite the nice ballpark! Sort of reminds me of a single level Camden Yards. We ate lunch on the patio of a pub that backs up to the open concourse and picked up a few fan items at the team store (see pic). It was a beautiful day, sunny and cool-- very comfortable, indeed! (The downtown area is kind of Ft. Worth-esque.)
We also stopped by a few offices at the seminary to say hello and then popped into the bookstore (I wanted to get a shirt, but ended up with a ballcap)... My wife pointed out the Martin Luther bobbleheads but then vetoed my purchase requisition (on the spot). Maybe Santa Claus will put one in my stocking. ;) ;)
So today we will unload the Pod, tomorrow and Saturday continue to sort out whatever it was we put into it two weeks ago, then Sunday we'll head out to church (we're going to visit a congregation about 2 miles north of us) and finish out the day at an ice cream social at the seminary for my Greek class. Then Monday I begin again as a bona fide student (I haven't been a full-time student since I was at the Defense Language Institute in 1990...26 years ago!), most likely the oldest in the class. But I'm excited and ready to get busy!
As the dust settles here in the compound, I will try to post more frequently.
So far, so good. Yea, God!

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.