Saturday, February 4, 2017

Lucifer vs. The Peg

Man. This week seemed to just fly by! Here it is Saturday morning BDM (Before Death March, which may or may not happen-- it's 14 degrees outside) and I'm all too aware of a Baptism homily that's due to my professor before 11:55 tonight...

click to enlarge
Since posting a week ago, my wife's Ancestry DNA results came back. Surprisingly, no Poohawk in her genes. But we did learn that she's over two-thirds British, which makes sense, as I have traced a few of her lines in that direction. Like most Americans with euro-ethnic surnames, we just always assumed we were of more German ancestry, than anything else. And I also find Ancestry's attempts to match DNA submitters with similar matches interesting. They found a very close match to my wife's profile ("Possible range: 1st - 2nd cousins / Confidence: Extremely High"), and one matched mine, though not as closely ("Possible range: 2nd - 3rd cousins / Confidence: Extremely High").

On Thursday I was part of the seminary's chapel service for the first time-- I was a lucifer (that's a little "l" for light-bearer, not a big "L" for the prince of darkness). It was kind of a clunky performance during our last act, which was to replace the candle and cross holders on these little pegs near the lectern. The pole with the cross on it sort of snaps in to the lectern, but we lucifers (there are two) had a devil of a time (pun intended) getting the poles on the pegs! The other guy used a little too much elbow grease and his hit the floor hard enough that his candle went out. I was the lone pole wrangler during about 10 seconds of awkward silence. Other than that, the service went well... You can watch it here, if you'd like (the service actually starts at 5:52 and our final procession back toward the altar is around 16:20).

This morning I encountered a phrase in a comic strip that I'd not previously heard (that I can remember, anyway), "to whistle for it." I've been around for a half century (and spent two decades of that in the Navy) and consider myself fluent in English... Well, here's the strip:


Lastly, I read a Bloomberg article in our paper this morning that so defines what the Super Bowl means to most Americans. Check it out and see if you agree: The $400,000 Way to Do the Super Bowl

Kyrie, eleison.

(I was going to opine on the rioting at UC Berkley, but I've run out of gas... And it's Death March time.)

С Богом, ya'll.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.