For as I passed along and observed the objects of your worship, I found also an altar with this inscription, ‘To the unknown god.’ What therefore you worship as unknown, this I proclaim to you. The God who made the world and everything in it, being Lord of heaven and earth, does not live in temples made by man, nor is he served by human hands, as though he needed anything, since he himself gives to all mankind life and breath and everything. And he made from one man every nation of mankind to live on all the face of the earth, having determined allotted periods and the boundaries of their dwelling place, that they should seek God, and perhaps feel their way toward him and find him. Yet he is actually not far from each one of us, for
“‘In him we live and move and have our being’;
as even some of your own poets have said,
“‘For we are indeed his offspring.’
Being then God's offspring, we ought not to think that the divine being is like gold or silver or stone, an image formed by the art and imagination of man. (Acts 17:23-29 ESV)
[Blue text from nationalmemo.com, where "We reserve the right to moderate our comments to maintain civil discourse."]
...I honestly believe that that’s a relationship that you have with your Creator,”Jeb said...
i like it
... “And it only enables bad behavior when you hear that someone from outside our country talks about Donald Trump.”
don't like it (not sure i understand it)
Reporters also asked Bush to respond to Francis’ comment, “a person who thinks only about building walls, wherever they may be, and not building bridges, is not Christian.”
“I don’t know what that means,” Jeb responded.
the pope's comment is so not a call to arms!
I wish not to take up sides (or arms); however, I am a Lutheran that likes this Pope (the guy, not necessarily the papacy) and I am a conservative who favors Jeb Bush (not because of the name, yes I know he's Catholic-- should I hold that against him?, and yes I know his wife is an immigrant...seriously?). As for the Pope's remark about walls and bridges...
I, like the vast majority of pundits, blowhards, and armchair constituents, can easily see Pope Francis as just another piece on the game board. I could take his comment literally about a wall (like Berlin, 1961), but he's the Pope for cryin' out loud-- his job description may be the only one in all of Christendom that says in a codicil "oh yeah, and you're also head of state." But he's the Pope! His real job is preaching the Gospel to a broken world, and he very much did so when he told journalists who asked his opinion on Trump's proposals to halt illegal immigration "A person who thinks only about building walls, wherever they may be, and not building bridges, is not Christian. This is not the gospel," Real or metaphorical, walls divide. Real or metaphorical, bridges unite. I heard a priest speak, not a politician...but I'm not running for office (yet-- I'm thinking about writing myself in as the Communist Party candidate) (not really, so save the hate mail).
Never short on cannon fodder, Trump fired back in response to the Pope's comment: "No leader, especially a religious leader, should have the right to question another man's religion or faith," Judge? No. That's God's work. Question? Perhaps, especially a religious leader (though the Pharisees weaken that argument). I think the faith compass of another should not be blindly or naively dismissed, particularly when that person represents the religious ideals or national values of others. (This is why the "Evangelical Right" vote is so critical during presidential elections.)
[I am reminded of the scene in the movie "Contact" (which is about faith, not aliens...per se), during which Jodie Foster's character, the atheist astronomer Dr. Ellie Arroway, faced an international committee tasked with deciding which of the homo sapiens on this planet could best represent us as a whole to an alien civilization. Palmer Joss (Matthew McConaughey), on the committee to provide spiritual guidance, asks "Dr. Arroway, do you believe in God?" She said no and wasn't chosen. When she later asked Palmer why he did it, he responded: "Our job was to select someone to speak for everybody. And I just couldn't in good conscience vote for a person who doesn't believe in God. Someone who honestly thinks the other ninety five percent of us suffer from some form of mass delusion."]
The American people will have to choose a direction for our nation in the candidate they vote for. A candidate who wears his/her faith on his/her sleeve is a candidate that, perhaps, should have his/her religion or faith questioned (again, not judged). Same goes for the candidate whose faith seems empty or hidden in the shadows. If We the People of these United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity buy into the sound bites, mud-slinging, and posturing...then we deserve what we get. Let's hope, yet again, that God thinks otherwise.
"Our job was to select someone to speak for everybody."
(And I just couldn't in good conscience vote for a person who doesn't believe in God.)

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.