Saturday, April 9, 2016

As the World Turns (on a wobbly axis)...

I appeal to you, brothers, to watch out for those who cause divisions and create obstacles contrary to the doctrine that you have been taught; avoid them. For such persons do not serve our Lord Christ, but their own appetites, and by smooth talk and flattery they deceive the hearts of the naive. (Romans 16:17-18 ESV)

A sampling of our world from today's newspaper (my boldfacing):

"...politics remains a shameful parade of fear-mongering and dangerous hate speech, leading to a climate in which Donald Trump can thrive as a presidential candidate. In this environment, riots are routine, hate groups openly participate in campaign rallies, discrimination and threats against religious groups are constant and even celebrated, and the degradation of women is fodder for super PAC campaigns... Political rhetoric has become so divisive, in part, because we, the constituents, reward politicians for it. We reward them by reading and listening to their words, then retweeting them and sharing on Facebook, and by cheering at campaign rallies and town hall meetings. We give life to their words. We take them and hurl them like bombs with no regard for the destruction of our shared humanity." (Robyn Short, "mediator, peace-building trainer and publisher" at GoodMedia Press)

"As you, my fans, know I’m scheduled to play in Greensboro, North Carolina this Sunday. As we also know, North Carolina has just passed HB2, which the media are referring to as the “bathroom” law. HB2 — known officially as the Public Facilities Privacy and Security Act — dictates which bathrooms transgender people are permitted to use. Just as important, the law also attacks the rights of LGBT citizens to sue when their human rights are violated in the workplace. No other group of North Carolinians faces such a burden. To my mind, it’s an attempt by people who cannot stand the progress our country has made in recognizing the human rights of all of our citizens to overturn that progress." (Bruce Springsteen, on the cancellation of his tour stop in Greensboro)

From Dear Abby: "About a year ago, my daughter befriended a schoolmate. After numerous playdates, our families have become close. While my family is atheist..."

From Dear Abby: "My wife and I have been married nine years and together for 14. We have agreed that while we love each other, we are no longer “in love.” We have stayed together because we’re comfortable... [She] has just informed me that she’s pregnant with someone else’s baby and will be moving out soon. She is all I have known since we have been together. I feel lost and confused and sad. Do you have any advice?"

From Carolyn Hax' syndicated help column: "I’ll try to keep this brief. I’m really bad at breakups. Like, really bad. I have broken up with two people in my life, but am still in messy “friendships” with both. I genuinely can’t handle the idea that someone who has become my very best friend, my family, my partner in crime for goofy ideas or adventures will just disappear from my life for a reason so stupid as that I don’t think they are the person I’m going to marry and have kids with (though I have legitimate reasons for feeling that way)... For context, I don’t have a biological family, so maybe boyfriends become even more important to me than is normal..."

Lord, in your mercy, hear our prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.