Monday, July 4, 2016

Sis-boom-bah humbug!

Blessed is the nation whose God is the LORD,
the people whom he has chosen as his heritage! (Psalm 33:12 ESV)

For a state that is anal-retentive about IDs when purchasing alcohol, Indiana (at least here in our county/city limits) seems very liberal when it comes to the purchase and use of fireworks. In fact, Walmart stocks enough so that every hard-working, happy-go-lucky Hoosier can buy a paycheck's worth to shoot off in the front yard during the fireworks use "window" only between 5:00 p.m. two hours after dusk (approximately 11:00 p.m.) from June 29-July 3 and again from July 5-9, July 4th the hours are extended from 10 a.m. until midnight (so sayeth the Ft. Wayne City Ordinance).

What this means to me, a refugee from a part of Texas where fireworks sales and use are strictly prohibited, is that last night here in the compound it was like a war zone until midnight. I expect tonight will be even worse...

...and I have a 2-hour mid-term test tomorrow morning, bright and early. Last night I got very little sleep and I think the cat developed a facial tic from the constant booms that started at about 9:30pm (in earnest; in reality, there have been illicit fire works going off for the last two or three weeks). And I had class at 7:30am today! (Why? Schedule incongruity-- we're off Friday.) I'm officially blacklisting July 4th (along with Halloween, another day on the calendar that is nothing more than an inconvenience).

Other than possibly developing PTSD before tomorrow morning, I feel good (not great) about this first of two mid-term exams... I will be studying most of the afternoon today and into the evening...vocab vocab vocab...accents...accents...accents...parsing parsing parsing...verb endings verb endings verb endings...lather, rinse, and repeat.

Anyway. I wish each and every one of you who is peering in a safe and Happy Independence Day!

(sis-boom-bah humbug!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.