Friday, July 1, 2016

That 3rd week of Greek was tough!

And he called the twelve together and gave them power and authority over all demons and to cure diseases, and he sent them out to proclaim the kingdom of God and to heal. And he said to them, “Take nothing for your journey, no staff, nor bag, nor bread, nor money; and do not have two tunics. And whatever house you enter, stay there, and from there depart. And wherever they do not receive you, when you leave that town shake off the dust from your feet as a testimony against them.” And they departed and went through the villages, preaching the gospel and healing everywhere. (Luke 9:1-6 ESV)

I got back my 11th quiz of this first 3 weeks of Greek instruction. Sadly, it was a 66-- not because I didn't know the material, but because I didn't write in the "dictionary form" for Greek words (i.e. horse: ἰππός, -ου, m.; I wrote only horse: ἰππός) and lost 5 points out of 25 for that stupidity alone. Toss in a few accenting and verb form mistakes and, well, it was ugly. So I'm batting around an 85 now, down sharply from last week. sigh sigh sigh

The first of two mid-term tests is on Monday-- yes, on the 4th of July-- because of the schedule. So while you're celebrating your freedom (or complaining about it), remember those of us who will be suffering behind the monastery walls... (We will be compensated with next Friday off.)

I really must marvel at the amount of Greek we've had so far! It's been one intense ride...

Forgot my wallet and my flashcards!
(Luckily my beer-mama was with me...)
Last night was seminary night at the Tincaps game, so we got free tickets and went. It was dollar beer night. And I forgot my wallet-- in Indiana, regardless of age, you have to produce an ID to purchase alcohol. By the end of the third inning, the beer lines were out of control. We left at 8:30pm, after the 6th inning, and some of the guys who stayed until the end reported that it was one big drunkfest.

(At the game there was this uber-cute little 3- or 4-year old girl named Harper, the daughter of one of the seminary guys in our row, who, after her mom found their seats, very coquettishly pushed back her long brown hair and said "I just love a baseball game..." as she looked out at the field. I waited for the "...don't you?" that never came... She was precious.)

Well. Will I survive 7 more weeks of Greek?! Sometimes I just don't know...sometimes I wonder how I ever passed any test or exam I ever took in my 50+ years on this planet! Somehow I got through high school, college, Navy advancement exams, three levels of DLI Russian, proficiency tests, teacher certification tests, etc. I have to bet that I'll get through Greek, too.

The homily in chapel this morning spoke to me-- the professor who was preaching spoke on the Luke text (at top), in which Jesus sent the disciples out to continue His work with explicit instructions to take nothing, no food, no money, and only the clothes on their backs. Why? Luke tells us that Jesus "gave them power and authority" to act in His name; but He also told them to "take nothing for your journey." Jesus wanted them to place their full trust in Him and not to rely on themselves (though each had their part to do). Sometimes I am too quick to rely on myself and then I get frustrated when my will is not done, rather than relying on God (that Thy will be done part that we mumble so rotely in the Lord's Prayer).

So I will try to keep my wits about me (AND read the instructions, for Pete's sake!) and remember that God so labored to get me here that I feel certain He plans to see me through it...

But, brothas and sistas, it just ain't e-a-s-y.

On that note I close. It's Friday afternoon and about time to get my gemutlichkeit on (see previous post) before grilling one of the most tear-inducing beautiful angus sirloins I've ever seen on the back patio (cat at my feet)!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.