What would send the unsuspecting public-- in particular, a vast majority of evangelical Christians-- into a mass panic? An appearance by Jesus in the pre-parousic (okay, maybe that's not a word) sense, that is to say on this side of heaven, or a visit from extraterrestrial lifeforms. What if either showed up tomorrow, unannounced, just to reassure us that we're not alone? Just dropped by to say hi?
Imagine if I reported right here on this blog that I not only saw Jesus in the flesh, but interacted with him? Maybe had a cup of coffee or lunch with him? I would be branded at the least a religious wacko, most likely you'd think I was just a nut, certifiable. Same as if I told you I interacted with E.T. (though not likely over coffee or lunch...)
But as I posted yesterday, I got to thinking what it might be like to see and talk to Jesus in this world... What would/could I say to God? What would it feel like to look into the eyes of this man who knows absolutely everything about me-- every dark secret, every regret, every shame, every dream, my future, and, I shudder to think of it, the extent of my faith? And how could I not help but wonder why God would want to spend time with me (in the corporeal sense)...with an everyday, average schlep like me? (I think now I better understand that "fear of God" thing...) What could Jesus the Messiah, God Himself possibly want with me (when there's so much war and pestilence elsewhere, what with that devil on the loose and all)?
Let's imagine that I wouldn't become so fraught with guilt and anxiety that I lose my faculties or have an accident, that I find such an encounter purposeful (even though I don't know what the purpose is) and so get myself together and simply spend time with my Savior... (oh who am i fooling-- i'd be a mess)
Let's also suppose that for just such an occasion, I already had a few pre-prepared questions (in case I was a mess and couldn't think straight) to ask Jesus. I actually do have a bunch; however, at the risk of drawing the attention of the heresy Gestapo, I've narrowed the list to these five, beyond the most obvious "Why me?":
- Why is Scripture silent on your whereabouts between your preteen years and your Baptism by John?
- Why was Sin (Satan) allowed into God’s Garden, a place of blissful innocence where God walked with Man?
- From a human standpoint, if punishment is meant to incapacitate, deter, get restitution, exact retribution, or rehabilitate, then is there a means to the end of eternal damnation under the Law?
- If it is even possible for a man like me to comprehend what heaven is like, could you describe it?
- In a seemingly infinite universe, it’s difficult to believe that ours is the only life-sustaining planet—is there other sentient life out there?
But, seriously, now. What would I do with the answers?

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.