Sunday, January 1, 2017

Yea, verily... I am, so far, impressed with 2017!

Happy New Year from the Hoosier State (and every other state I may be in)!!

The weather today has been SPECTACULAR! I wended my way to church this morning around 7:15am and the dawn spoke of Creation in such a way that I just had to be a part of it-- and nearly missed my turn of US 30...

This is the start of my "fulcrum month," so the pot of anxieties was already a-simmer as I got up, after only 4 hours and 25 minutes of sleep (according to my trusty Fitbit-- I really need to find out how it knows I'm sleeping...or not...hmm, may as well toss that into the pot for seasoning).

I was part of both services and delivered the children's message. During the first service, only four little tater tots came forward, maybe the oldest was 3, and they just sat there at my feet and blinked at me... It was more than a little intimidating. In the second service, I had a typical mix of kiddos and that message went better (though, personally, I don't think either was all that great-- the children's message is not my pastoral forte); in fact, one lone dude approached me in the parking lot and thanked me for my message (maybe the adults get more out of it?).

By the time we got home from church, it was noon-ish and the temperature outside was climbing into the mid-40s, not a cloud in the sky and we finally got a break from the gale that's been blowing all of December. We had lunch and then around 2pm headed out for a SECOND death march (4 miles), which was most enjoyable. We went out yesterday morning into the slate gray sky and gale force wind and it was okay with a tailwind, but turning into the wind I thought I was sure to become a 250-lbs. Mary Poppins. I don't know what the wind chill was (20s, I'm sure), but it was cold. I got 3 miles out of it (and no frostbite).

My daughters gave me this Fitbit I'm wearing for Christmas. Yes, I'm a year behind the Fitbit craze, but what a nifty little gadget! I hit 10,000 steps for the first time today (had almost 9,000 yesterday). I've "earned" two corny badges, the first a boat shoe or loafer or flip-flop badge, and today a sneakers one. I'm not into virtual bling, but it's nice to be validated on occasion, if only from a hi-tech bracelet.

Speaking of validation, my field work pastor remarked to me this morning as we were putting on our helmets and pads for the first service: "I think you'll be a great pastor." What a kind thing to say-- it really made my morning, day, month, and, of course, (new) year...

And now, the grill is going on the patio (since it's just cold, no wind, snow, ice, etc.)... Steaks!

So, life is good in 2017. For the first day, anyway (but I have a good feeling about the rest of it fueled by my trust in God)... Hope your 2017: Day 1 has been as good as mine.  :)

С Богом, ya'll!

P.S. The Cowboys lost to the Eagles today, the only downer. I understand, but I don't like it. :(

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.